Wednesday 12 June 2024

Making Coffee

 I haven't posted here in a few years. I'm busy with things. Anyway, today was an interesting day. It's complicated trying to talk about it for reasons, shall we say, of confidentiality. Let me just say that I am a member of a fellowship that has no governing body. But, there are those of us in the fellowship that are involved in the service of keeping the fellowship running as smoothly as we can. 

There are a number of groups in the district I serve. Each one is different. There is one group that I attend on Wednesday nights. It's quite a distance from where I live and I do not own a vehicle. So, one of the members drives me there. Because of his work, he can only attend every other Wednesday. So, it had been necessary for him to get someone else to run things when he wasn't there. And, that person was not driving me to the group, so I was also only attending every second Wednesday.

Earlier today, I was having a conversation with the gentleman who hosts the meeting twice a month. The talk was mostly about how hard it is to get group members to be active in service. He was getting frustrated with the whole thing and talked about shutting the meeting down permanently. That would be unfortunate. It's a small group but it helps a lot of people in the community where it exists.

I also had another conversation with a lady who goes there and also would not want to see it shut down. I explained to her that I would like to help them in some way to stay afloat but I was a member of another group and I had no vehicle to get out there to do anything for them. She then offered to drive me there on the weeks when the other guy couldn't.  I spoke to my friend and told him the good news. So, we have found a temporary solution to their problem and now we can keep the doors open until the group members can come up with a more permanent solution.

It all reminded me of something I wrote in an article almost 20 years ago. "If everyone thinks someone else is making the coffee, guess what? The coffee won't get made."

No comments:

Post a Comment