Thursday 18 September 2014

Can you spare some change today

So I'm running to catch the ferry back to Dartmouth. I reach into the pocket of my cargo shorts for some change but all I have are a bunch of toonies and one quarter. The fare is $2.50.

Then I see the panhandler. He always sits at the bottom of Duke Street with a tims cup for any change he gets from passersby. I usually help him out with a toonie because I haven't forgotten what it's like.

I sit down beside him and say man what a day. I was hoping you could help me out. I need change for the bus. He remembers me and starts sorting through his coins.

No no I say. You give me a quarter and I'll give you a toonie. He smiles and we make our trade. It made me humble to think he would have given me bus fare.

I guess he hasn't forgotten either.

No comments:

Post a Comment