Tuesday 29 September 2015

More Proof


This story has appeared in 2 of my books. I added a paragraph to it just now because of something that happened tonight.

One Day At A Time

Nancy and I had our first date on March 23, 1998. The following day, March 24, 1998, we agreed to be a part of each others' journey through life.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I told Nancy that I could not promise her the moon or the stars or that I would love her until the end of time because I lived my life one day at a time. Therefore, I had no idea what I would be doing at the end of time. I knew that yesterday was gone and that tomorrow was uncertain, but that today was the one day that I had any control over. So, I could offer her one day - today.

Last night, March 23, 2015, Nancy and I did the same thing we did on that Monday night 17 years ago. We went for coffee at Tim Horton's on Portland Street, down by five corners. It's a bit different in there now; there's no smoking section. But the atmosphere hasn't changed. The lady who served us has been working there 19 years. When I said we were celebrating our first date she remembered and even said she recalled me booking the table on our wedding day.

After our coffee, we attended an open meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous at Club 24. It wasn't the same speaker. Sadly, Frank (who was also the best man at our wedding) passed away a few years ago.

But, the speaker last night also had a powerful spiritual message, as had Frank. Ironically, he resides in the same transition house I was living in when Nancy and I first got together. I am also sponsoring his sponsor.

We did not know he was the speaker until shortly before he spoke. He did not even know he was the speaker until earlier that day. Often, that is the way these things happen.

I am grateful we decided to relive the events of that first night. It reminded me that we play parts in each others journey and that we never know what those parts are until they are played. I look forward to today.

This evening, September 29, 2015, I attended a birthday meeting on a whim. One of the celebrants was the young man who spoke on our anniversary night. He has one year of sobriety and I was able to participate in his night as he was able to participate in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment